Problem with /fileadmin and google penalties

Problem with /fileadmin and google penalties

Luis E. Suarez-2
Hi all,
Apologize for the extensive post an language.
TYPO3 7.6.32. The site contains 4 thousand pages, the content is not
stored in the database but in /fileadmin. The content is fetched using
the "fetchurl" plugin. The folders structure has the same hierarchical
structure as the TYPO3 page tree as: fileadmin/folder1/folder2/file.html
which is rendered as www.example.com/folder1/folder2/file.html
In all cases the page tree corresponds exactly to the navigation
structure of the web site.

Since the rendered pages in browsers are duplicated in /fileadmin, I
protected /fileadmin using robots.txt to avoid indexing by crawlers.
This worked ok for some 20 years without issues, but now I have received
an email from Google that reads:

"Top Warnings. ... Some warnings can affect your appearance on Search;
some might be reclassified as errors in the future. The following
warnings were found on your site: Indexed blocked by robots.txt. As in
/fileadmin. We recommend that you fix these issues... blah, blah blah."

The question is what's the best approach to overcome this problem?

I decided to move /fileadmin outside public_html and changing in
fetchurl fileadmin/folder... by ../fileadmin/folder... But browsers
can't render images, audio files, videos from outside public_html. Hence
I must left those files in the public folder. That is I must have two
/fileadmin in the site. Furthermore, I use Dreamweaver to create and
upload pages to the server and that application do not understand how to
place images in public_html while placing content below public_html.

I ran out of ideas, so I like to hear suggestions from anyone using the
same TYPO3 files structure I'm using.

Re: Problem with /fileadmin and google penalties

RDE - Gert Redlich
Am 10.03.2020 22:01, schrieb Luis E. Suarez:
> Hi all,
> Apologize for the extensive post an language.
> TYPO3 7.6.32.

Hi Luis,

sorry,

all my content is inside the mysql database
includig all typo3 templates

no content is outside in text files or other html files

Gert

Gert Redlich Wiesbaden wrote:

> Am 10.03.2020 22:01, schrieb Luis E. Suarez:
>> Hi all,
>> Apologize for the extensive post an language.
>> TYPO3 7.6.32.
>
> Hi Luis,
>
> sorry,
>
> all my content is inside the mysql database
> includig all typo3 templates
>
> no content is outside in text files or other html files
>
> Gert
Thanks Gert. Hope someone else have a suggestion.

Re: Problem with /fileadmin and google penalties

Mark Boland-2
Hi Luis,

I don't get it, why you added the fileadmin folder to robots.txt. If there is content in it, Google (and others) have to access it to index it (images, PDFs and other linked assets).

There is nothing wrong for Google to access those folders. If you happen to have HTML files in there, that aren't linked from your "official" pages, then they will be non-existent to Google. Google doesn't "scan" the folders, but strictly follows links.

If you are afraid of search engines to accidently access those HTML files then add a Rewrite Rule (Apache) to direct access to the canonical URL.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Mark